Friday 17 July 2015

Gold Rush, The (1925)




Well, I dreamed I saw the knights in armor coming...

The Gold Rush, my first foray into Chaplin for the 1001 Movies List and I have to say I'm a little surprised that his earlier film, The Kid from 1921 was not included in this list.

Like most Chaplin films, the story's protagonist is a take on the 'Little Tramp' character, this time a 'Lone Prospector' who is attempting to strike gold in the blizzards and snowy mountains of the North. 

Like most Chaplin characterizations, the Prospector's ineptitude and buffoonery lead him into various capers, meeting various  characters along the way (Big Jim and Black Larsen) - who set out as a trio in search of gold - quite reminiscent of a film I'll be discussing some time later - The Treasure of Sierra Madre.

With each failure the group edges closer to starvation leading to perhaps the most-well known scene of this film, when Chaplin eats his own boot. Charlie's comedic timing, facial and physical expressions are put to their best use here - something he would later develop in films like City Lights and Modern Times.

He meets a girl, Georgia, leading to another famous scene, where he sticks fork in two rolls and dances with them like they are a pair of boots to entertain the girl and her friends. The whimsical score over this scene, and others, adds a layer of light-hearted comedy with an undercurrent of pathos.

The Gold Rush is a decent film with two or three classic scenes, I was never really sold on the trio or the pursuit of gold like I have been on other Chaplin films. At the time of watching this film, I have seen four Chaplin pictures and The Gold Rush is the one I responded the least to. There are some interesting ideas here and I think the overall tone and pacing of this film was better replicated in his later work, Modern Times. 

BEST SCENE: Chaplin eating his own boot - which was apparently made from licorice - is a comedic scene with a serious message behind it, something Chaplin was always great at.

BEST CHARACTER: The Lone Prospector - not my favourite Chaplin characterization but certainly the best in this picture.

BEST QUOTE: N/A

RATING:  ★★★☆ - Good film by a great film maker. If it was me, I would have put The Kid on the 1001 Movies list before I would consider The Gold Rush, though I do believe that it is worthy of a place on this list.

MOVIES WATCHED:14
MOVIES REMAINING:987

1 comment:

  1. In the early forties Chaplin released a version with himself narrating the film. His narration is good and it cuts away all the intertitles. Both makes for a more smooth and elegant movie. Much recommended.

    ReplyDelete